Thursday, December 8, 2011

Modern Embroidery

Maria Biehn
2010

I was sent these images of Maria's work a little while back, and have enjoyed looking at them so much that they became my screen saver for a while.  They are a lovely composite of tactile surfaces balancing simplistic and rigorous styles simultaniously.  I love the grid structure with the organic overlapping of tones.  This reminds me of minimalist artists like Carol Bove who work within a  minimalist discourse but don't shy away from tactile and organic styles.  It seems that most often I see woman artists who have a comfort level approaching minimalism with less adherence to the sterility that had defined it in the past.  At the moment it seems to me that woman artists are having the most contemporary conversation in minimalism today.

Carol Bove
untitled 2008




No comments:

Post a Comment